No Subject

Christopher E. Hill chill6 at utk.edu
Mon Feb 23 22:20:12 GMT 1998

>>Christopher E wrote:>
>>The only thing that will cause great stress on rods and crankshaft is rpm.
>>The only thing that more boost at low rpm will do is make more torque, is
>>if the torque goes to high, you will bust a head gasket, as cylinder
>>pressure is highest at peak torque, not hp.
>

>Where do you think the other end of the head gasket cylinder pressure is
>connected?
>Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>

Gary,
	I am sorry if I have caused any confusion.  Yes, the pressure due to
combustion does produce a stress on the conecting rods.  However, the
stress due to rpm on the rod I feel is higher than that of combustion.  I
have not done the actual math to prove this, just using my common sense, as
I have never seen a rod broken under normal cicumstances(i.e. lacking
SEVERE detonation) but have seen some come appart at high rpms.
	The only thing I don't know how to interpret is how the compressive stress
affects the fatigue of the rod.  I have yet to take that class.

Sincerly,

Christopher E. Hill--chill6 at utk.edu