MAF vs MAP

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Thu Feb 26 19:56:38 GMT 1998

Andris Skulte wrote:

> > > Yes, I accidentally did the same thing, must say a liitle surprised
> > > and alot of comments like throw it away, who needs it.
>
> When I put the TPI intake back on the motor, and cranked her up for the
> first time in a week, I just couldn't figure out why it was running so
> rough, stumbling, no response, etc... I didn't have anything hooked up
> before the throttlebody! It looked nice w/o the ducting (and MAF) but
> sure didn't run too well...
>
> Andris - cone shaped hat melted on the headers ;)
>
> --
> ********************Skulte Performance Designs************************
> Andris Skulte   askulte at tufts.edu   http://www.eecs.tufts.edu/~askulte
> 89 IROC M5 305 TPI     13.5 at 104.1   320 hp / 470 ft lbs
>
> According to Einstein, the faster you go, the longer you live.

  Aaah.  Probably 1986 or so?  No MAP sensor to back it up.

1990 pickups with 454 use the same connector for IAC and distributor.  Once during an
engine replacement I got the wires plugged in wrong.  Don't ask me how, but the engine
actually ran for about 30 seconds.  Found the cause by accident.  The module had gotten
so hot that I burned my hand on the distributor base.

I poured what was left of my pride into my cone shaped hat and went out to panhandle for
quarters.

Shannen