junkyarding...

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Thu Feb 26 20:32:53 GMT 1998

Howdy Greg,

>1) How many folks here have purchased a complete
>OEM system (junkyard style)?  What did it cost
>you?  Preferably a sequential system of either
>Ford or GM origin.

I've purchased complete, running 3.8L FI engines from a local junkyard in
the 300 dollar range, with the harness, computer, and other necessary
items.  To purchase the parts individually, it would have cost me more, as
this particular junkyard is very fond of the "oh, fifty bucks" mentality
for each part.  What I did, was find a running car in the junkyard with the
parts I wanted, then negotiated with them to have the car delivered, I take
off what I want, then they pick it up and its all over with.  For me, I
found this a better solution than to remove everything I needed under the
pressure of making sure I got everything I wanted.  Plus, I got a complete
powertrain, the entire wiring harness, and all of the springs, air
conditioning stuff, and the list goes on.  I think I might have struck a
better deal than most, but the concept is the same - take stuff in bulk,
and disassemble it in your own house - every time I've done anything like
this, its been significantly less expensive.  Plus, you don't have to wade
knee deep in the junkyard goo :)

>2) Given similar tuning resources (obviously not
>true since most aftermarket is for the GM) which
>is the most adaptive and/or powerful system?

This is just my opinion, but the GM stuff I think is a little easier to
work with, from an ECM point of view - all the code PROMs are mounted in
sockets, thus making a replacement chip much easier and less expensive.
Both Ford and GM use similar parts, like MAP/MAFs, crank triggers, etc,
however I'm glad I took someone's advice to go the GM route simply because
I've found most of their stuff is used across most of their vehicles - so a
MAF sensor from one particular model, will fit most (not all of course) of
the engines similar in size.

However, the Ford MAF generates a simple voltage, rather than a
frequency-laced output, so if you are making your own circuitry, a lot of
the Ford sensors might be easier to devise from scratch with.

Hope I helped.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/