ECU numbers on GM

Scott Schaaf SSchaaf at ERINet.com
Sat Jan 10 20:36:11 GMT 1998

Ludis Langens wrote:

> Scott Schaaf <SSchaaf at ERINet.com> wrote:
> >GOOD LUCK!!!   It APPEARS to be 68HC11,,, BUTTT,  the pinouts DO NOT
> >mach that of any HC11.  Nor do any of the other 54 pin chips.   I have
> >been trying DESPARATLY to find out about these ECMs, and to no avail.
> >If you get lucky, PLEASE let me know.
>
> Don't expect to find a "real" HC11 in the ECM.  I've taken a very quick look
> at a P4 class ECM.  It has three large chips which appear to be 1) a custom
> CPU-core-only 68HC11, 2) a custom I/O and RAM chip, and 3) a custom timer
> chip similar to a 68332's TPU.  There is also a medium size chip that is the
> custom limp-home mode controller.  One of the smaller chips is likely a SPI
> interfaced A to D converter.  And it wouldn't surprise me if there is also a
> SPI PIO chip.
>
> If you are looking at an older C3 class ECM, there will be a custom CPU-core-
> only 6801, one or two custom ROM/RAM/PIO combo chips, a custom timer chip, a
> custom A to D chip, the custom limp-home chip, and a custom [are you getting
> the picture yet?] oscillator & clock generator chip.  Plus, a custom IAC driver
> chip, a custom ignition module interface chip, a custom power supply chip, and
> a semi-custom O2 sensor amplifier.
>
> It is safe to say that you won't find info on any of these custom chips in a
> Motorola data book.
>
>                    unsigned long BinToBCD(unsigned long i) {unsigned long t;
> Ludis Langens         return i ? (t = BinToBCD(i >> 1), (t << 1) + (i & 1) +
> ludis at netcom.com                 (t + 858993459 >> 2 & 572662306) * 3) : 0;}

They just GOTTA be different, Don't they!!!   I would just like to know
how the data is stored in the PROMs, I would like to build my own EFI on
an old AMC V8.  SOMEONE on this net has broken the Typhoon/Syclone ecm
prom, and I will be looking for this ECM in the junk yards when it turns
warm again.
					Scott...