Line Lock and ABS

Paul Tholey pft101 at psu.edu
Thu Jan 15 19:24:26 GMT 1998

I apologize for this being slightly off subject, but I would like to hear
some speculation on a possible project of mine.  I am a student at Penn
State majoring in journalism.  Have been a member of the list for about 1
year now.

I wanted to write a simple tech article in hopes of getting it published.
My idea was installing a roll control/line lock system on newer performance
cars.  The only problem I can foresee is how this may affect the ABS on some
cars.

My dad has worked for a Caddy dealer for the past 17 years.  Recently, the
Philadelphia area has been hit with a new type of emissions testing.  The
test is run on a dyno.  I was figuring the ecm would read a line lock
burnout to be no similar than a dyno run.

In the dyno runs at my dad's dealership, the ABS light does come on.  The
system stops working until the key has been turned off.  Once the car is
started again, the ABS light is off, but the code is still stored in memory.

I was thinking when the line lock is used to heat ties at the drag strip,
and then to hold the car steady once staged, the ABS would have no real harm
or help to the rest of the functioning car.

I guess replies should be sent directly to me since this is not about EFI.
If this is something others on the list would like to read, I would have no
problem ccing the replies I get.  Just drop me a line.

Thanks,

Paul Tholey
pft101 at psu.edu