FI controller

Steve Lamb lambs at HOTBLK.dsto.defence.gov.au
Mon Jan 19 18:14:00 GMT 1998

>        I have a few questions on my EFI conversion. I have a Rover V8 that
>I'm going to convert from carbs to EFI. I have a late model plenum off an
>1988 Range Rover 3.5L. My question is do any cheap programable efi
>controllers exist?. I visited Haltech personally and the said there F-9
>system is perfect for the job. The down side is that the price of AUS$1500 +
>seting up on a dyno is way out of reach. I can use the factory Lucas L
>injection components but i'm told there very unreliable (AFM S\h AUS$500 and
>ECU S\h AUS$500). I don't need ignition control as the electronic hall
>effect distributor works great. Surely a low cost EFi controller is
>available?

You can have my INJEC EM2 system for about $600, including sensors, etc
(I've just bought a MOTEC).

>Any help would be appreciated. Also someone locally is using An
>AC-DELCO MAP system off a 1989 onwards Holden 5.0L V8, with reprogramed a
>EPROM ,mounted on a Rover V8 with good results. Is the DELCO system tunable
>and suitable for performance work? I'm also interested in building a 5.0L

The software to reprogram the Delco unit costs about $800 and was developed
by a guy in South Oz.   It's called DynoKal or Kalmaker.  I believe there
has recently been - or is about to be -  an article about the Delco in Zoom
magazine.  There was also a couple of technical articles in Silicon Chip.
On the whole, the consensus appears to be that the thing is very
impressive.  With later versions (VR/VS Commodes) the system even allows
control of the tranny.  It is definately tunable for performance work.

Cheers

Steve Lamb
Department of Defence, DSTO
Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratory
506 Lorimer Street
Fishermans Bend  VIC 3207 Australia

Tel: +61 3 9626 7525
Fax: +61 3 9626 7089