Edelbrock MPI kit

Carl Summers InnovativeTechnologies at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jan 22 12:42:20 GMT 1998

Hi All,
   A while back I told everyone I was going to have an Edel mpi kit in
to do some prom work and that I would give some feedback on what I
saw....
This unit was a 94 454 4L80E,,,I did not sell it or install it, but was
asked to check it out afterwards,,,,It ran very poorly except when under
a load,,(70-100KPA),,I contacted Edelbrock and went through the on
hold/transfer crap for almost an hour...finally got through to a
programmer,,,,after a few Q & A's  he said that the EDEL cam(btw this is
the cam that is in their catalog for this app and was recommended, by
Edelbrock Tech, to the customer,,evidently he had all the part numbers
when he brought the truck to my buddy's shop) that was installed in it
was wrong and to put a stock cam in it and it will run fine....I
questioned him on the fact that their was an EXTREME amount of timing in
the chip, and how could you possibly get, that much timing, with a stock
cam, through CARB, and not increase the NOX. There was also a terrible
surge on decel at around 3mph and block learn's were all over the
place,,,and the engine would shake violently at light throttle....after
a few querries I somehow got disconnected(hopefully not on purpose) and
decided not to call back and sit on hold.....
    There is an idle fuel map (0-1600 rpm) that is set to shut off at 3
mph or 5% tps,,and the transition from idle to the main table was never
calibrated,,,so I shut off the idle table and remapped the main then
turned the idle table way up and remapped it,,,after setting the mph and
tps back to stock it ran alot better but still had an occasional
surge,,,,I beleive this was caused because they did not correct the
injector offset vs battery voltage,,,since the problem was only on
decel, I moved the mph, for idle table, to switch at 15 and left the tps
alone,,this eliminated the surge,,,,maybe I didn't look hard enough but
it appeared they did not change the EGR vs base pulse constant,,,I
beleive this was contributing to the shaking at light throttle....Anyway
I could not afford to spend a whole lot of time on it since I was doing
it for free....
    I have been doing alot of mods to Whipplecharged trucks and have
thought of putting a intake,heads,hyd roller cam,blower,larger T.B. kit
together.  And if I ever plan to CARB approve this I think I might have
to alter some of the stock code,,,,this is my question,,,,How do I go
about finding the type of processor in these computers and where do I
buy the assembler package so I can start to reverse engineer the code?
(No, I can't do this myself,,,,,yet,,,,but freinds can help)
The computers in question are:
1227747
16146299
16168625
16197427
One other question,,,the 8625 was used exclusively in 93 350 4L60E and
is called an ECM and the 7427 was used from 94-95 and was called a
PCM...in the 350's I can install a 94 chip into a 93 computer and have
seen no change in anything(except the 94 chip has a much better trans
program) they have the same plugs too....anybody know????anyway enough
babbling,,,if anyone can help with the assembler package, I would sure
appreciate it...
Thanks,
-Carl Summers