Hi everybody., new to this group ! *** THANKS !!!! ***

Gordon Couger gcouger at ionet.net
Thu Jan 22 23:59:44 GMT 1998

>Will Honea wrote:
>Sorry for my lack of knowledge here but what is an Harvard Archetecture
>!?
>and why we have to "fight",.. is it so bad !?!?
>
>I worked with 68hc11 a little bit with the evaluation board from
>motorola about 2 years ago. I designed an electronic numerical dash
>for my car ( on a plywood,..) for my final project. It was ok,.
>
>I heard that 68hc11 is faster , better architecture , but somebody
>told me that 8051 has more interrupt !?

I am partial to a 68HC11 I have written code for it for a lot of years.
IMO it is better suited to engine controllers than an 8051. It has four
lines that work beautifully for injector control and 7 hardware interrupts
and a software interrupt. It was designed to be an engine controller.

Support from Motorola, the net and freely available software are all
better for the 68HC11 than Intel products.

You can buy a board from New Micros for $80 bucks that comes
with FORTH, small c and basic. I have seen some pretty decent
project written in small c. I have used a lot of compilers and I would
spend another $100 for a better compiler. I use Dunfield's compiler.
I would also recommend INTORL. If you are a student you can get
an educational version for $140.00. The commercial version is $1,500.
Either one will do the job for any project that a 68HC11 can do.

Gordon