GM 16pin Diagnostic Socket

xxalexx at ix.netcom.com xxalexx at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jan 29 23:02:13 GMT 1998

> From:          martin at mgass.demon.co.uk
> To:            diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Date:          Wed, 21 Jan 1998 09:47:40 +0000
> Subject:       GM 16pin Diagnostic Socket

> I have a 1996 GM 2.0L 16V that has a 16 pin diagnostic
> socket.
>
> - Does this 16pin socket mean its got OBDII, does the old 10pin
> ALDL socket not have OBDII ?  Was this 10 pin socket predominantly
> used with Bosch ECUs and early SimTec ? When and with what ECU's was
> the 16 pin socket introduced ?
>
> - Anybody have any example freeware/shareware that can drive the diagnostics with a
> laptop PC that they could e-mail me ?
>
> - I am looking to write my own diagnostic/programming software,
> anybody have any advice ?
>
> - Anybody know where could I purchase a plug for the16 pin socket to connect it to a PC ?
>
> Martin

> martin at mgass.demon.co.uk
>
> I wrote scan tool program three years ago based on J1979 it looks like carcomp since
uses tabbed folders. Interface was also based on SAE schematic.  Have
ISO 9141 and VPW.   ISO 9141 is just 10.4 Kb rs232 so can probably
connect straight to computer.
 I did get some sample connectors from DELPHI, the last I heard, they
only sell a complete connector  about $50.00 ?  Some spade connectors
will work
 Alex