ISO 9141

Land Shark lndshrk at xmission.com
Fri Jan 30 02:24:44 GMT 1998

At 08:33 AM 1/30/98 +0000, you wrote:

>I developed module and scan tool 3 yrs ago.  It seems that ISO 9141
>is the most open std. since follows J1979 so all codes are available.

 Not for diagnosis other than OBD-II..

 ISO-9141 is used for example for all Bosch Motronic diagnostics..

 BUT.. 9141 only specifies the initial handshakes/hardware level stuff

 Beyond that, individual "keyword protocols" are used by the different
 manufacturers and are HIGHLY proprietary..

 I divined the BMW/Porsche/etc protocols by reverse engineering of their
 darn DME source code..

 Jim C.