cyberdyne speed calibration box

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Fri Jan 30 08:26:40 GMT 1998

Here's the brunt of my investigation:

1) when calibrated correctly, speedo cable spins at 1000 RPM (that's
revolutions per mile).

2)early speed sensors were DC output, 2,000 ppm (pulses per mile)

3)early speed signals were cut in half for cruise control and  multiplied 2X
(i believe) for rear wheel ABS.  Buffer is available still from GM

4) modern speed signals, specifically 700R4, 4l60E, are AC, 40 pulses per
revolution of the driveline.

4.5) to find out how many ppm are sent to signal buffer, by 40 tooth sensor,
divide 5280 by tire circumference in feet, multiply by rear axle ratio, and
multiply by 40.  A car with 29" tires and 3.72:1 axle produces 103,483.3
pulses per mile.

5) 91 to present pickup truck has DRAC, (Digital Ratio Adapter Controller),
which can be programmed via jumpers to multiply and divide speed signals.
DRAC also has outputs for cruise, ABS, and speedo.  If interested, I can
furnish some info, especially on programming DRAC.  Speed sensor for this
type vehicle is 40 tooth.

6)United Speedometer and Instrument, (800) 877-4798, sells speed signal
generators.  They build them to generate square wave (DC) or sine wave (AC)
signals, in two, three, or four pulse per revolution configurations and
install between speedo cable and trans. If converting, get DC type with
appropriate # of output pulses.

7) It's been over three years since I installed C[rossfire]FI into my '57
pickup, so the above information is subject to correction as needed or
wanted.

Shannen