Variable Cam Stuff

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Thu Jul 2 03:57:47 GMT 1998

>I was thinking of using something similar to the centrepital advance
>flyweights that are used on a mechanical distributer.  The biggest fly in
>the ointment would be the large load that is on a camshaft.

Howdy Ray.  I'm thinking aloud here, so don't take this as a fact.

If you use centrifigual force to change the rotation of an object, you
adjust its acceleration capability drastically.  Rotate a 10lb bowling ball
upon an axis, then rotate a 2' wide 10lb dumbell, and you'll see what I
mean.  The dumbell takes more effort to accelerate rotation (and more
braking power to stop).

That aside, if you have weights on your camshaft that can extend in and out
towards the centerline of the rotational point of the camshaft, and you
have equal weight all around, you won't load the camshaft bearings much, if
at all (other than what gravity does).  As the weights extend, they'd be
balanced by their sister weight 180 degrees out of phase.

Just a thought.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website: