Please help a novice

Terry thartman at gte.net
Fri Jul 3 16:44:45 GMT 1998

MPoore10 at aol.com wrote:

> I have been stumped by a code 53 on an '85 Corvette. The alternator is not
> overcharging. I have swapped ecm's. The voltage at B2 is the same as system
> voltage. I was also getting a 52 and 53. I replaced the fuel pump relay and
> calpak. I have tried to order the factory service manual but it is
> backordered. My Haynes manual doesn't cover this except to say it is an over-
> voltage condition.
>
> I would appreciate any advice. If someone has a factory manual and a acanner I
> would REALLY appreciate a copy of the troubleshooting procedure.

Mike - I don't have a Helm manual for an '85 vette either, but the code
description for 52/53 would be one of the following depending on vehicle:

52  - Electronic Control Module (ECM) computer circuit problems - fuel
      calpac missing, analog todigital converter (A/D) error, quad driver
      module (QDM) fault
    - Oil Temperature Sensor - signal voltage is low

53  - Over voltage condition
    - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)
    - Voltage reference error
    - Vehicle Anti-Theft System (VATS) problems

You can order a Helm manual from Dal at Lambert Pontiac for about $70.
That's also the cheapest place I've found for GM parts.

Lambert Buick / Pontiac - GMC, Inc.
2409 Front St.
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio 44221
1-800-711-2793

Ask for Dal Slaubaugh (lockitup at bright.net)

Mention you're with an internet mailing list like the F-body list
(www.f-body.org) and you'll get a great price....

hope this helps,

T.