Nitromethane

Robert Harris expert_not at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 3 17:50:07 GMT 1998

Reference: High Performance Automotive Fuels and Fluids
Author: Jeff Hartman   Publisher: Motorbooks International.

The first thing to remember about nitromethane is that is a rocket
monopropellant.  Quite simply, if you can cause ignition, nitro needs no
additional source of oxygen or anything to continue to burn.  Thus, if
you could ignite it, you could fill the chamber to hydrolock with nitro
and generate massive power. (Hint - it's 56% by weight oxygen).

Next, stoichiometric combustion of nitromethane yields 5.82 moles of
product for 4.87 moles of intake charge reactants.  This is about 127%,
whereby gasoline or alcohol yeild 106%. At very rich mixtures this goes
up to 160%.  Since stoic ~ 1.7 to one, and 1 to 1 is where most seem to
go with it - you get the picture - you typically burn 12 to 15 times as
much nitro with the same amount of air as gasoline and you get twice the
bang for each kilogram.  Double A fuelers are getting an estimated Six
Thousand plus HP out of  500 cubic inchs

Since it burns once ignited without regard to external oxygen, most of
the chemical anti-detontants work poorly or not at all. It has a low
heating value, but since its specific energy is over twice that of
gasoline, and with the same amount of air you can burn over 12 times the
ammount as with gasoline, you can generate enormous amounts of power,
product and temperature. Its latent heat of vaporization is about .5x vs
gasoline at ~.2x so its does cool the intake charge somewhat.

Excerted SAE tables in the above reference show that nitro lowers the
octane of a toulene/acetone/alkylate base fuel significantly, a 10%
nitro mix results in 99 RON and **** 75.4 **** MOTOR octane (about  7
numbers lower than the cheapest unleaded crap at the stop and rob) and
thats with 25% straight Toulene ( higher octane than methonal -
depending of course on who's research you reference ) in the mix. Might
give you a clue of the octane of neat nitro.

Most references, including personal conversations with fuel dragster
racers, consider nitromethane in any significant quantity to be
extremely detonation prone and that the only reason the alcohol is in
the mix is to cool the combustion below the point where the metals
themselves contribute to the combustion product.

Because of the extreme molar product, heat of combustion, low motor
octane, propensity to wildly pre-ignite and detonate and because every
reference says so, I would hazard to guess that lower Compression ratios
are normally used with nitro/alcohol blend than with a straight alcohol
or racing gasoline fuel.  Of course since I'm an Expert - NOT, me and
the references could be wrong for which we will gracefully accept a CSH
and return to the corner.