ZZ3 and TBI

goflo at pacbell.net goflo at pacbell.net
Sun Jul 5 03:59:53 GMT 1998

John Zarli wrote:

> I am using Crane narrow body "gold race" rockers.  Note that while all <1988
> heads may use a stamped version of a self aligning rocker arm, not all late
> model heads really  require them.  My cast iron truck heads have a slot in the
> cast iron, as opposed to a large hole.  I DO need the narrow body ( center bolt
> valve covers).  For some reason Northern Auto Parts carries these at a lot less
> ($240 vs $300) than the self aligning type & if you moved up to a performance
> head that used guide plates you still have the right type of rocker arm.

Limiting factor with "slot" style heads is pushrod "excursion" - This
means that
the pushrod moves back & forth in the slot as it goes up & down.
Excursion is a
function of cam base circle, cam lift, pushrod length, rocker ratio, and
the actual rocker dimensions. If your particular combination of parts
does not produce
interference between pushrod & slot then I know of no reason to use
guide plates.
(Please enlighten me if you know different). I have had good results
with simply
elongating the factory slot to accomodate the parts used.

Jack.

BTW, Comp Cams stamped rollers are money well spent for stock and
close-to stock
apps. Reduces guide wear to zip. No financial interest in same.