Watching ECM Serial Data Stream

Jason Weir jweir at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jul 6 18:51:31 GMT 1998

I know a while back the group was trying to decode the serial data
stream, not sure whatever came of that project but I stumbled upon a
software package that watches the RS232 communications, and has a data
logging feature.  What I figured is that someone might be able to use
this stuff to see what the ECM's are spewing forth and then by changing
one input (read sensor position) at a time you would be able to know
what part of the data stream corresponds to what ECM function. I
uploaded  data.exe to FTP/incomming for anyone interested. It does
require that a simple cable is made though.   Let me know if this might
work for anyone.
    Does anyone know if the Bosch Digital-P system as used on the
Jaguars has any sort of serial output similiar to the serial data line
that GM uses? And maybe what might trigger the ecm to output the data?
thanks again  Jason Weir