Emulator - Found

Ian Jones ian at cobi.demon.co.uk
Tue Jul 7 15:36:51 GMT 1998

Possible problems with the emulator are

As the emulator is powered from the ECU the processor could lock up because
the initial data will be rubbish. This may not occur depending on the
implementation of the watchdog function. Possible solutions are use battery
backup version or extract RESET line and toggle. It is not good practice to
start the ECU with 'bad' data this can cause it to overwrite normally non
volatile memory - commonly used for security and fault code storage.

Beware of ground loops. Non automotive emulators do not isolate between
RS232 and ECU. Don't power a laptop from the cigarette lighter - it can all
end in a big bang.

However on some ECU's I'm sure it will work OK.

I currently market top of the range automotive emulators but if the interest
was there in an upgradeable emulator for around $250 which allows the car to
continue running when changing data then maybe this is possible. Please
email me directly if you would be interested in such a product.

Cheers

Ian

ian at cobi.demon.co.uk