off-topic: NC as ECU?

Rei rei at hp-planet.com
Tue Jul 14 17:52:55 GMT 1998

> except the IBM boxes run OS/2 butchered into a JAVA OS only version
> and most of the others run a proprietary interface

Actually the units from IBM Microelectronics Division
(Austin TX) ran OS/9000 (unix microkernel), MIPS NT4.0
(admittedly now defunct) and mklinux, all from day one.

The ones from the Network Computing Division (Rochester MN)
started out with some bastardized OS and now run JavaOS
off an assembler loop.

The above are all PPC 603e based, but any single one of the
Pentium-based models should also be happy to run linux.

I was working for IBM on this stuff when it came out; it was
VERY cool at the time, still is.

> The Corel unit used LInux so all the dev tools are free off the net
>
> also as far as I know none run from a straight 12VDC supply either
> or have the amount of I/O that the Corel does

The NCD box runs off single voltage; even back in its
bastard days it did...the IMD one is a 5/12 system,
sadly yes :( I think the i/o is not terribly different, tho?

cheers
--
Rei
96 VTEC; Member No.190, Honda Prelude Fan Club