Mystic (and broken) DME on -93 BMW 325i

WILMAN wilman at hkabc.net
Tue Jul 21 00:40:29 GMT 1998

----------
> From: Magnus Jansson AR/RG <Magnus.Jansson at era-a.ericsson.se>
> To: diy_efi at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Mystic (and broken) DME on -93 BMW 325i
> Date: Friday, July 17, 1998 4:06 PM
>
> I'm about to buy a -93 325i but sale guy says that the DME is broken and
> must be replaced. Of course he will do that before I buy the car but
> what I wonder is if the broken DME might have caused some other problems
> on the car? He said the
> engine spluttered and there was some mystic figures on some display. He
> also said that there was some french electronic system mounted.
> Is it possible that the french thing is original or is it put there by
> someone else? And what is it?? Did he mean a french DME?
> Anyway, he will order the new DME from Germany
> because here in Sweden it's really expensive.
> Well, my main question is if I should by the car or not when this has
> been fixed?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Magnus Jansson

I would find out if it was really the ECU that was faulty.
Also get your car checked by a proper garage before
buying. They should have suitable BMW specific diagnostic
equipment to read ECU faults.
It is normally the ignition coils which go wrong first and then
short-circuiting the ECU if not attented to.

Wilman