O2 sensor and rich condition

Walter Petermann corsaro at brokersys.com
Tue Jul 28 16:20:00 GMT 1998

Hey Roger,
the O2 will not sense gasoline. A rich misfire will be read as a lean
condition due to excess O2. So the answer to your question probably not,
unless you have some cylinders misfiring and some just very rich but not
misfiring.Then the O2 response would be jumping around all over the place.
You might get an average high reading (with a voltmeter) if one cylinder
is misfiring rich and the rest are just running rich. The best tool to see
that would be scope.

That bring's up something I hadn't thought of before. If the system
is running rich enough to cause misfire, O2 feedback would actually
make things worse?

 Walter