Benching Ecms

Walter Petermann corsaro at brokersys.com
Thu Jul 30 00:04:02 GMT 1998

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> Finally applied power to the bench ecm project today, and all seems
> good and well so far.  Upon reflection I want to run something past the
> folks that have already done this, is using a 5K pot OK for the MAP,
> and TPS??..

  It should work fine.

>     The reason I ask is that with the MAP twisted to high and with a
> 1K ohm resistor in line, I still get a MAP voltage of 5.1volts.  Should I
> increase the value of the "limiting" resistor?.

  Bruce, I don't know what you mean by 'twisted'. Are you putting the
  resistor in series with the MAP output? This will not effect the
  voltage at the ecm pin since there is very little current flowing
  into this pin. The resistor would probably have to be in the range
  of several hundred K before you'd see a voltage drop. Unless you
  have a variable vacuum source for the MAP, the 5K pot sounds like
  the way to go.

>     I also used a 470 ohm resistor thinking that would keep the min
> TPS to about .5volts, but it's .18volts.
>     What's the error in my thinking here.

  Sounds like either your 5K pot is actually 15K, or the 470 ohm resistor
  is on the supply side of the pot instead of the ground side.

> TIA
> Bruce          Ya shoulda seen the staff run when I yelled "Fire in the
>                     Hole", when I flipped the main switch on.

  hope this helped some,
  Walter