Twin injector system?

mrvette mrvette at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 1 02:57:03 GMT 1998

Sandy wrote:

> I have though of just raising the voltage too, but would expect a couple of
> problem, meltdown and destruction of the injector as one ;-). The second,
> is that it might open faster, but not close faster, also I have now to dump
> a lot more stored energy back into the electronics so that may require some
> changes in the protection and related circutry.  I don't really know the
> insides of the injector, if the fuel pressure is used to help close the
> pintle (I think thats what its called), then a combination of increased
> fuel pressure and higher peak voltage might do the trick. An interesting
> thought, would be to take a 24 vdc powersource, and run an injector
> (saturated style) with a 2/1 peak and hold current and see what kind of
> minimum cycle time you can get, and then raise the pressure. I would expect
> that this is all a wash, as with the added pressure the pintle will just
> stick open, worth a ramble however.
>
> Sandy
>

> >The way I see it, the poor response at short cycle times is due to the long
> >rise time of the injector current, due to the inductance of the injector
> coil.
> >The rise time is determined by the voltage across the injector (V=Ldi/dt and
> >all that). So, if a higher voltage could be used (e.g. using a DC-DC
> converter
> >to charge a cap to say 60V or so, then dumping the energy from the cap
> into the
> >injector coil at the start of the injector cycle), then the injector could
> be
> >opened faster and shorter pulse widths could be used. Sort of like peak and
> >hold with a much bigger peak. The cap could be sized so that its stored
> energy
> >would be just enough to open the injector. A holding current could then be
> >applied until the end of the pulse.
> >
> >I did a patent search and couldn't find anything similar to this, so it's
> >either a really good idea or a really bad idea. Any flames/derisive
> >laughter/questions to the list please.
> >
> >Ta,
> >Stuart.

You see I forget the exact schematic but we did something similar in a bi-polor
trnasmitter in the pulse field metal detecter business 20 years ago.....course
it was one coil and a bi-polor transmitter...with caps charged by the reverse
DFEDT? signal....
So do the same thing with a diode and the two banks of injecters....:-)))
GENE