ION-related IGN Comments & Coil Quest

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Tue Jun 2 19:29:16 GMT 1998

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Jun 1998 00:03:16 -0700 (PDT), T Hergen <thergen at svn.net>
> wrote:
>
> >           ||o-------to plug
> >primary    ||o
> >           ||o
> >Bat+ -----o||o
> >          o||o
> >          o||o  secondary
> >       ---o||o
> >       |   ||o
> >       |   ||o-----
> >       |          |
> >       x----------|
> >     To Points (or ignition module)
> >
> >Is this correct for most common inductive style ignitions?
>
> I'd say this is most UNcommon; I'd like to know what systems actually
> use this connection scheme today. If it exists at all, I'd say it's WAY
> in the minority.
>
> >Some of the posts seem to indicate that the primary and secondary have the
> >Bat+ terminal in common.
> >Does anyone know which is "right" (maybe both are depending on the
> >application) 1) secondary has Bat+ in common with primary or 2) secondary
> >has points side in common with primary?
>
> ALL of the coils I'm familiar with use the +BAT as common; I don't know
> of any that fit the description of (2), but hey whatawino? A coil
> terminal these days that has the + mark on it is meant to go to +BAT,
> and that terminal IS the common for secondary and primary inside the
> coil.
>
> Secondly, I also don't know of any coils that use the frame/core as a
> conductor, so measuring from a mounting hole or sumpin to any of the
> connectors really shouldn't show a circuit. The core is really always a
> bad choice as a conductor, since it's composed of piles of laminated
> sheet steel usually, and sometimes for assembly, the core pieces aren't
> even one continuous piece of steel, and they don't normally have to
> create a good electrical circuit, just a good magnetic one.
>
> Gar
Just found a Motorcycle coil today that uses the pole-piece for ground!!
Only problem is, it uses the same point for primary and secondary ground
- feeds the coil through the points. Darn - just proved the core IS used
for ground on some coils, but then found out it doesn't do us any good!!
--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!