CONVERTING MECHANICAL FUEL INJ TO EFI

Sandy sganz at wgn.net
Wed Jun 3 01:05:59 GMT 1998

First off turn off the CAP LOCK!

Using the Crower on the street is possible, but it will be difficult to
make it all work as a drivable package. The big problem with the Crower and
Hilborne units are that they are stupid, that is, not much to help dial in
a fuel curve. The work great at WOT, but are much harder to get working at
off idle and mid range. Not undoable, but harder. Requires a bunch of
mechanical gizmos, popoff, and such. A good place to start is Kinsler Fuel
Injection, they sell a bunch of parts (really expensive) but have lots of
stuff for the constant flow units.  The biggest problem will be placement
of the EFI injectors, as the tiny ones used are quite a bit different
dimensionally, and sometimes require odd connections to the fuel rails.
Another spot to check is MSD Fuel systems in texas, lots of tools for
makeing EFI systems. Even have the proper drill bit  for the EFI injectors
if you are not a good machinist ;-)

Yes I'll agree, nothing looks as good as a nice polished Staggered tube
injector on a BBC. I had a L88 (copy) in my 69 chevell ss, and it ran good.
I had the hilborne injector, but decided that it was just too much of a
hassel with the pump, problem with off idle tune, and damm, I can get an
EFI system for about the same $$ today, so why not go with some technology.
If you can find the space for the EFI injectors, it would be really cool. I
think Kinsler injection offers some of their constant flow manifolds (like
the cross ram tube BBC) with the option of EFI style, so it is not unheard
of. Other conciderations might be optimal placement of the injectors, some
CIS systems (I think like crower) has the injectors over the butterfly,
some under.

Just some rambelings!

Sandy
At 02:53 PM 6/2/98 -0700, you wrote:
>I HAVE A 1955 CHEVY WITH A L88 427 FOR POWER. I WANTED TO GET A
[snip]