Coils for Ion

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Wed Jun 3 03:48:10 GMT 1998

On Mon, 01 Jun 1998 21:34:32 -0700 garfield at pilgrimhouse.com writes:
>On Mon, 1 Jun 1998 20:49:55 -0400, cosmic.ray at juno.com (Raymond C
>Drouillard) wrote:
>
>>What are the highest frequency components that ION will be expected to
>>read (I remember seeing some mention of a typical waveform when I
looked
>>at the patent)?  What is the inductance of a typical spark coil's
>>secondary?  I think you can see what I'm getting at...  Is the
inductive
>>reactance of the coil going to be a problem?
>
>Well, instead of adding to the "vagueness" of the group, why don't you
>try some numbers and show what you come up with?
>
>Gar

I'd be glad to... Um... Where did I put that pesky inductance meter?
Oops, I forgot.  I don't have one!  Does that mean that I'm not allowed
to ask questions?

What is the typical inductance of a spark coil?  Is it on the order of a
henry or so?  0.1 henries?  10 henries?

What is the inupt impedance of the current sensing circuit?  What does
the waveform look like?  I'm sure that that information is available
somewhere on the web, but I haven't seen it.  If someone who has that
information at their fingertips can pass it to me, I'll be glad to do
some calculations and post the results.

The nagging though that the reactance of the coil might require some
special considerations has been bugging me.  I didn't have the specific
information I need to do the calculations, so I tossed it out to the list
for consideration.  I believe that "brainstorming" is the term used for
this.

Ray Drouillard