Chev HEI Distibutors

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Jun 3 13:52:26 GMT 1998

 Gary Derian <gderian at cyberdrive.net>
Subject: Re: Chev HEI Distibutors

>I think they're pretty good.  In general they work well up to 5500 rpm on a
V-8.  Aftermarket modules and/or coils can extend the useful range to 7000.
Gary Derian <gderian at cybergate.net>

>From: Grant Gatenby <grantg at iname.com>
>>What are the general opinions of these in stock form ?
>>What RPM can they be considered to produce adequate spark till, and is
there any necessity for a 3rd party coil to be fitted to them.
Any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated

If your talking about in-cap coils, IMHO sign off time with a stock motor
is 5,000 rpm...  If your making HP less.
  MSD makes a low resistance center button, and remote coil kit
that helps.
  External coil distributors, just use a good aftermarket one (coil).

Mount the coils on the body, so the engine vibration doesn't kill em, and
they run cooler.
  Use the modules just to trigger a Crane or Jacobs System.  Years
ago me and some pals had a bunch of junk msds, and I never trusted
them after that.
  Be sure to clean and use dielectric grease on the module, and clean
things up every couple years.   Replace rotors every 20K miles.
  Use good ol AC, or Autolite plugs, IMHO.
  Keep 5+7 plug wires an inch apart (SBC).
Loom the spark plug wires neatly.
  Use premium spiral wrapped wires to min EMF/RFI noise to the
ecm (DIY EFI relationship)....
  I haven't seen any gains independently reported on these $400
plug wire sets.
  Supposedly Roush (?), uses Magnecor wires.  Least looked like em
on a engine of Martins I saw up close.
  Was a blurb on this list about Jacobs patent being for packaging,
ain't true, it's for how he turns off the Capacitor in the CDI.
  HTH
Bruce