EGOR - how is he under PRESSURE?

max maxboost at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 3 14:39:03 GMT 1998

 That's another reason for
> needing to get this out to the group for discussion, cuz there likely
> will be some who HAVE instrumented and can give us an idea on what kinda
> exhaust backpressures can be expected in both stock and performance
> engines/exhaust systems. Especially anyone real familiar with the design
> of EGR systems would probably know, since I know at least SOME of those
> systems were very sensitive to exhaust gas pressure levels.

On most turbo charged cars the sensor is placed after the turbine
discharge.  I have personally measured as much as 40 psig before the
turbine at high boost and have seen 6 psig after the turbine.  My friends
tuning shop has measured as much a 9 psig after the turbine on some cars at
full load.  Most of the measurements are take with full exhaust and with a
cat.

In regards to EGR, many cars use a Back Pressure Transducer diaphram deal
to help regulate the amount of EGR in proportion to backpressure.  Usually
on small engines that they try to run a lot of EGR on.

Steve