HV Diode Sources

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com garfield at pilgrimhouse.com
Thu Jun 4 01:49:59 GMT 1998

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998 12:32:24 -0700 (PDT), Orin Eman <orin at wolfenet.com>
wrote:

>For anyone interested in HV diode specs, visit the following:
>
>http://www.hvca.com

WOW, choice morsel indeed! THANKS Orin. I'll swap ya for my two sources,
both of which are used to build HV coil joiner devices for both
singleFire and wasteFire IGN systems, widely used in racing and in
eXperimental Aviation, to build dual-redundant IGN systems.

In both cases the HV diodes below are used in microwave supplies and
industrial X-ray machine HV supplies, environments that mean the
devices, especially in the case of Xray HV supplies, must be dependable.
These devices are on the order of a couple dollars, so they are NOT
expensive to eXperiment with. Just make sure you don't electrocute
yerself, eh?

The MSD [singleFire] Coil "Selector" you've probably seen in their
catalog, contains for each of it's two HV legs, 4 of the following in
series:
	Fuji Electric
	FUJI		ESJC07-12B	available from Allied/Collmer

The NSI (an eXperimental Aviation vendor and supplier of Fire Wall
Forward components) WasteFire Coil Joiner Block, contains 6 of the
following in series, on each of it's 2 legs (you need two NSI blocks to
join two 4-cyl wasteFire IGN systems together for full dual redundancy):
	Fagor Electric
	FAGOR		HVR5-12		available from Newark

Both are 12KV diodes, the FAGOR has a noticeably lower forward bias
voltage (e.g., 7V instead of 12V), suggesting it is actually made with
fewer internal diode junctions than the FUJI.

The information about what devices are used internally was given to our
XA group, either by someone who works/worked for MSD, or someone who had
seen the internals of the NSI block, so I *trust* this information, and
have also obtained samples and played with each of these devices. I've
also MEASURED the forward bias requirements for both devices, to confirm
the number of diodes in series in the internal diode stacks. So I think
this info is quite reliable.

Thanks again, Orin. Ahh, I love it when the fractions add up!

Gar