Coils for Ion

Clare Snyder snyder at huron.net
Thu Jun 4 13:08:55 GMT 1998

garfield at pilgrimhouse.com wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 1998 00:14:26 -0400, cosmic.ray at juno.com (Raymond C
> Drouillard) wrote:
>
> >I should get with my
> >mechanic friend and test this out.  A capaciter to pick off the arc noise
> >is a lot easier than a HV diode to read a current measured in microamps.
>
> If this "a lot easier than" is refering to ION measurements, again, this
> is NOT at all what is being measured in ION. The current across that
> plug when it's arcing is NOT, no how, "measured in microamps", it's
> orders of magnitude bigger. The current we're measuring with ION has
> NOTHING to do with the spark current. I've said this over and over now.
> OVER? We can't be having to go all the way back to ground zero on this.
> ION measures ionization current in the plasma that remains AFTER the
> flamefront, NOT the spark current. That's after BOTH the spark phase,
> and the flame propagation phase, have PASSED.
>
> I hope that comment above is intentionally comparing apples to oranges,
> but somehow I fear it may not be. Say it ain't so.
>
> >Taking the worst case (80 meg ohm and 50 Hy), I get a
> >3db frequency of around 150 KHz.  That sounds kinda high... I think I'll
> >double-check my math later when I'm less tired.
> >
> >Anyhow, I wasn't considering the ringing because I figured it would have
> >to decay before we can get a good reading, anyhow.
>
> Yeah, but the secondary ringing is exactly what characterizes the
> IMPEDANCE of the secondary, which is how this whole canard worry of
> yours began. Go back to your intial post, and read your expressed worry,
> that the "reactive impedance of the coil" was gonna somehow effect ION's
> signals it was needing to measure. That's why I said even a cursory
> glance at the representative waveforms shows that the natural frequency
> of the coil's secondary is WAY above the frequency components in the
> ionization current; you can see that DIRECTLY on the graphs of the ion
> signals, WHEREVER they're drawn, patents or papers. That's why I gave
> you that URL AGAIN!

SNIPPPP

Just a minute, guys. I'm no EE, but what has AC impedence got to do with
a straight DC current measurement? By the time we are measuring this
Ionization current, all we have running through this coil secondary is
straight, flatline DC. No? This flat-line DC doesn't give a hoot what
the impedence in Henries is as long as IT is not attempting to change at
any great speed. I think we've got a bit of a red herring in the nets.

Just my two Ngwe's worth
--
                               _/\_
                    Reply to Clare at snyder.on.ca
                                OR
Remove the R from clsnyder in my E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the
spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys!!!