Airspeed question

Robert Humphris r.humphris at indigo-avs.com
Fri Jun 5 08:26:00 GMT 1998

Fellow EFi'ers

As the techincal advisor of the Renault 5 GT Turbo owners club, I have
often heard some strange tales, many of which turn out to be utter
rubish.  But last night I heard something that I cannot decide upon, and
I would like to ask the amassed knowledge in this list their opinion.

Now we all know that flow is important in NA engines, with Turbo engines
airspeed is just as important if not more so.   So with this in mind one
of the members was asking a porting shop about their mods to carb and
manifold.  They said that they were 70% up on standard flow... which
they claim to be able to prove, so we will leave it at that...  The bit
that I am not sure about is on the subject of airflow, when questioned
they said that "When you put the carb and manifold on the flowbench it
whistles.  Air only starts to whistle at 300mph, so we know that the
airspeed is greater than 300mph..."

Now this seems to be quite a claim... And I have never heard such a
thing before.  Is this true?  or not true, if so why?

Obviously I have a mission to trash any bogus claims from tuning
companies as the members of the club shouldn't be tricked into parting
with their cash, so you advice will be received greatfully.

Cheers

Rob Humphris