Airspeed question

Francois Dion francois at hyperreal.org
Fri Jun 5 14:30:11 GMT 1998

Gary Derian wrote:

> I have never heard that air whistles only at over 300 mph.  Even if this
> were true, the ports could have some local eddies that cause whistling even
> though the velocity in the middle of the port is much less.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that the exhaust velocity of a kettle is far lower,yet
quite a few models do whistle... :)

On a more serious note, it is far more important to have imperfection
smoothed out on a turbo or supercharger. On the Lancia Beta
Montecarlo Turbo race car (1983), one engine had a strange power
loss at a certain rpm and they realised on tear down that the intake
had a blister in a port that caused cavitation and lowered the
speed of intake or something like that.

Ciao,
Francois Dion (francois at hyperreal.org)
--