eec egr scheme

Jon jona at earthworld.com
Mon Jun 8 16:02:56 GMT 1998

Hi James,

> Uhmmmm john.  I don't know about fuel delivery but the main difference is
> ignition timing.  When the ECU opens the EGR valve (and the EGR valve
> position sensor confirms this) then ECU also advances the timing.  This
> is to make up for the leaner mixture because lean mixtures burn slower

It seems to me that if you throw in more inert exhaust gas, and then
don't compensate by putting in less fuel, the mix will be rich. If you
ran the engine on pure oxygen (no nitrogen) and did not compensate by
adding more fuel, the mix would be lean. What am I missing?

> thus the advance timing.  The ECU does not lean things out at all.
>
> What kind os EEC-IV do you have? i.e. speed density (MAP) or mass air
> flow (MAF) ??

I selected a controller from a 1988 Crown Vic because it's MAP SFI.

> If you have MAF then don't worry about the size difference the MAF will
> compensate.  What is your 215? Is that a Buick, I mean Rover V8 ??

I have both Buicks and Olds engines. Presently I have the Olds in my TVR
and that is also the engine on the test stand. By the way, it fired
right up yesterday but I didn't let it run long because it had no
coolant or oxygen sensors. I spent 4 days sorting out the Ford harness
but I guess my care paid off as it fired immediately. Why does Ford
change wire color inside the bound harness? Just to piss me off? A big
problem was the GM distributor rotates CW while the Ford, CCW. Making a
new bottom for the Ford unit was easy, making the reverse rotation Hall
interruptor was not bad. Everything else was simple making of holders
(TPS) and adaptors for temperature sensors.
> HTH
> jw

Jon  (no "h", got it knocked it out of me)