HEI

Donovan L. Dibble ddibble at mail.eds.com
Wed Jun 10 20:02:07 GMT 1998

Tom,

I plan on re-using the distributor once I get some data on the
mechanical one.  I've just assembled a small setup so I can
monitor the distributor advance with respect to the vaccuum
signal.  Next, I'll try to get some data on the advance due to
the centrifugal weight/spring mechanism.  I'm expecting this
to be a good baseline for the electronic controller.  Once this
baseline is established, I'll create the interface circuitry to
implement the spark curve without knock sensing.  Needless
to say, after that, the knock sensor will be incorporated and
spark curve tuning begins!!

I'm planning on installing the TBI system on the 301.  Ideally,
I hope to find an older Chevy 350 truck so I can also grab the fuel
pump, harness connectors, etc.  I'm guessing by going with
a larger displacement 'donor' vehicle, the injectors will be able
to keep up with the turbo on the 301.  Actually, if anyone has
any info on TBI injector sizes, (or if my assumption is completely
off base) please let me know :).  I've begun researching GM TPI
systems and have gotten reasonably familiar with them, but
TBI is a different story.  I'm anticipating the TBI will be 'easier'
to set up in that I won't need as many engine position sensors
as would be needed for a sequential TPI system.  Hopefully,
most of the CCC system sensors and a 68HC11 with some
creative code will be sufficient for this.

After that project is over, I would like to swap a GM TPI system
on an older vehicle.  But that's going to have to wait for now....

-Don

PS  I looked at my service manual on the computer HEI and there
      are actually 7 pins on the module.  Sorry for the screw up :)