HEI

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Thu Jun 11 00:57:54 GMT 1998

If you have a GM seven-pin HEI module that is designed to work with a
computer, you can easily use it without the computer.  According to the
diagram available on the FTP site (and my own experience), it's simply a
matter of pulling the computer connecter.  There are four wires that go
to the computer.  One is a ground, one is a signal input, one is a signal
output, and one is a 5V emable signal from the computer.  If that fourth
pin doesn't have 5V (if it is left open), the computer pins will be
bypassed and the module will simply be a dumb ignition module - which is
exactly what you want.

Of course, you're still left with the task of setting up a centripital
and vacuum advance.  The distributer that I took apart had a solid
connection where the vacuum advance used to be.

Ray Drouillard

On Tue, 9 Jun 1998 15:42:40 -0400 "Donovan L. Dibble"
<ddibble at mail.eds.com> writes:

>The HEI connections for a non-computer are reasonably straightforward.
>The module has four pins (2 on each 'end').  Mine has two terminals
>labelled 'W' and 'G' and connect to the pickup coil.  (The wires going
>the coil are Green and White.  Thanks GM!)  The other two go to the coil
>and battery (Convienently labelled 'C' and 'B') and run up to the
distributor
>cap.  If you can get a service manual from a late 70's car, the
information
>should be there.  I'm not sure if you can simply replace the module with
>non-computer type without changing the distributor since the connector
>isn't the same.  If your module is the same as mine (and if I remember
>correctly), there are 6 pins total.  The extra pins are for EST and
Bypass