AFM calibration?

Francois Dion francois at hyperreal.org
Thu Jun 11 13:27:14 GMT 1998

I know nobody would want to use an airflow meter
as used in an L-jet setup nowadays, however I have
an older car that has that restrictive setup and I'd like
to adjust it for better flow. How can I know what is a good
tension on the spring?  I know the looser, the better
airflow, however I think this can bring me a few
problems if it's too loose. I know this affect the
fuel economy as the hp goes up (in combo with
a free flowing air filter of course) but what other
side effects are there?

Should I instead forget the AFM and try to find
another sensor that could be used instead? The
setup is Bosch L-jetronic in a Lancia Zagato. I do
believe it's the exact same setup as in a Fiat 2000
spider. All components are 81 except the AFM
which is a 79 and is the all aluminium type (except
for the cover over the spring).

Ciao,
Francois Dion (francois at hyperreal.org)
--