problems with GM TBI

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Mon Jun 15 21:17:45 GMT 1998

Jeff Bratcher wrote:

> This is my first post to this newsgroup so I apologize in advance if
> this is not an applicable message.

Some things that can cause high idle are:  1)  if the computer thinks
the engine is cold, and 2)  if the computer thinks the A/C compressor is
on.

As far as the swap goes, you want some kind of check engine light.  If
your dash doesn't have one that you can connect the ECM to, then at
least have a place that you can quickly connect on, like put a connector
in under the dash.  Or maybe an LED in the corner of the console.
Another good thing to do would be to go get an ALDL connector from a GM
car in the junkyard, and connect it to the appropriate wires from the
ECM (at least the serial, ground, and diagnostic request lines).  With
those, you should be able to connect a scan tool, put in the VIN of the
original car, and do some diagnostic work.  Get the factory service
manual for the donor vehicle.  Spring for the real thing from Helm, not
a Chiltons or the like.

How do you pass emissions without a cat?

A hint on passing sniffer tests:  High HC and high CO means you are
running rich.  High HC only means misfire.

Good luck finding the problem.  A swap like that offers a lot of places
to make mistakes and take shortcuts.  Hopefully the mechanic who did the
swap did a good job.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet