Trigger disc orientation help.

Chris Wilson chris at maximum-bhp.u-net.com
Tue Jun 16 18:11:23 GMT 1998

I am rebuilding a Formula 3 race engine.An Alfa Romeo 8 valve twin
spark Novamotor.It came with Magnetti Marelli management for ignition
and fuel.I am based in the UK,and the only source of info and spares
is in Italy,where they speak little or no,English at the factory.The
management is triggered by a disc trapped between the cam belt pulley
and the front shoulder of the crank.I expected it to be pinned or
keyed,when I undid the front pulley bolt,but it wasn't ...:-( The
disc is free to rotate.There is no distributor trigger,or cam
trigger.I faxed Italy,and received the reply that :

"At TDC on 1 or 4 ,one prong of the disc should be central to the
crank pickup sender".

The disc has 5 prongs.4 at 12,3,6 and 9 O'clock ,and the 5th right
next to one of the other 4,not spaced well away,like others I have
seen.I am trying to work out if it matters which "prong" is opposite
the trigger pickup at TDC.Should I use one of the 3 single prongs,or
one of the pair adjacent to one another?If the adjacent ones,which
one of them?Or doesn't it matter?Can it be TDC on any stroke,or
should it be TDC on the firing stroke,if I use one of the adjacent
ones? Hmmm...

Thanks for any help.

--
               Best Regards,