Bench racing ecms, whys, and future goals

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Thu Jun 18 13:20:05 GMT 1998

From: Scot Sealander <Sealand at clarityconnect.com>
Subject: Re: Bench racing ecms

>Bruce Plecan wrote:
>
>> Running two ecms under identical conditions using something
>> like diacom pluses or a dual trace scope would be rather difficult.
>
>And IMHO pointless.  What are you trying to learn?  What is the object?If
you connect two ECMs with different programs and you get two different fuel
PWs or timing values, what have you learned?  How are you going to apply
what you have learned, and to what?  How are you going to change anything
with that information?

While most if not all folks worry about a specific ecm, I'm really curious
about several.  I'd like to come up with some "similiar" proms that
will work with different ecms, and number of cyls, and MAP/MAF
DIS/Dizzy.

I'd like to see an "on the fly laptop" ALDL acessible setup that anyone
could use.  On piece of software for rewritting MAF or MAP stuff.
Pull the chip out read it, and then burn an eprom.

I'd like to see a 3 bar MAP system for the above.

I'd like to see a set-up where by thowing a switch ya could run open
or closed loop.  Or maybe change target closed loop AFR's.  Or
have freedom to chose any thing I want at the flip of a switch,  maybe
MAF to MAP even.  Or MAF closed loop to MAP open loop.

I'd like to see a closed loop system for WOT, for the DIY'er

I'd like to see a none acoustic knock sensor with adjustable attack/
decay rates

*Oh*, and all of the above as shareware, or DIY

>Better to understand what the code does....  Your opinion may vary.  B-)

I'll get there, but I'm slow, and that will take a while.

>Scot Sealander   Sealand at clarityconnect.com

Cheers
Bruce