Pump Pressure

Daniel Ciobota dciobota at hiwaay.net
Fri Jun 19 03:33:31 GMT 1998

Wayne,

What you describe is pretty much the way an FMU (fuel management unit)
works for blown cars.  Those cars use the stock fuel pressure and fuel
timing curves until boost occurs.  The FMU increases the fuel pressure
in relation to boost (still at the stock fuel pulse timing), effectively
delivering more fuel to the chamber.  Be aware, though, that dropping
fuel pressure significantly from factory stock pressure (39psi on a
mustang) may also affect fuel spray pattern at the injector; those units
are calibrated with orifices which require a set minimum pressure to
give a good spray pattern.  On the other hand, increasing the pressure
(within sane limits) doesn't seem to affect the spray pattern at all.
There are some people running up to 100psi and still using stock
injectors with no problems.

Hope this helps,

Daniel