Bench racing ecms, whys, and future goals

Steve maxboost at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 19 13:41:28 GMT 1998

> >Bruce Plecan wrote:
> >
> >> Running two ecms under identical conditions using something
> >> like diacom pluses or a dual trace scope would be rather difficult.
> >
> >And IMHO pointless.  What are you trying to learn?  What is the
object?If
> you connect two ECMs with different programs and you get two different
fuel
> PWs or timing values, what have you learned?  How are you going to apply
> what you have learned, and to what?  How are you going to change anything
> with that information?

I know from years of showroom stock racing that it is fairly common to see
one ecu of the same specs make more power than another.  I know several
teams that would get a hold of 5-10 ecu's and run them on the dyno to see
which made the most power.  We are only talking a few hp here, but on a
supposedly stock engine putting out less than 200 hp everything counts.

My thinking on why there is a difference is the resistance values of the
circuit traces on the board from the connector to the A/D converter.
Depending on the sensor, a slight difference would mean a different AFR.

Just my .02

Steve