Fixing cut harness

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Sun Jun 21 14:25:42 GMT 1998

>I've found braded wire to get brittle when soldered. Is there a way around
>this?

You could use something like crimp-on bullet connectors, insulated spades,
or even molex connectors, but soldering is probably the best choice,
especially in a many-wire thick harness, as good solder joints don't take
up a lot of diameter space the same way a bullet connector does, and
soldering is a strong method of mechanically joining the wire, if you twist
the wires together.  A lot of folks I've seen solder over the years bend
the stripped ends 90 degress, and twist them together, so the wire length
is shortened slightly and you have this "prong" sticking out.  Not good,
and takes up a lot of space.  Its best to fray the stranded wire, merge
them a little bit, then twist them, then solder that connection together.
This way the wire has a mechanical joint under the solder - i.e. better,
stronger joint.  Like you suggested, heat shrink tubing over each wire,
then typically have one larger piece about 3-4" in length, covering the
entire joint for mechanical strength.

Hope I helped.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606