Flexible Fuels

Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 clive at problem.tantech.com
Tue Jun 23 13:31:15 GMT 1998

> Hi everyone, I am the proud owner of a Ford 429 that is going to get
> to its next logical step, differing fuels.  I don't know if it would be
> methanol would require at least twice the injector duration as gasoline,
> and to burn it would probably require one of those fancy linear oxygen
> sensors since alcohol likes to be run a bit on the rich side to keep

how about 2 sets of injectors
use both with the alcohol fuel and only the main set with gas
then you can run only one fuel map and adjust the 2nd injector size/pressure to
maintian fuel curve values
alcohol does not have to run rich, it can be made to run clean with a little
tweaking

> I wonder if it would also be possible to run nitromethane while playing
> around, and then switch back to gasoline for the drive home?

nitrometh needs a lot of timing advance, it is hard to light
but you should be able to do this

> Also, will injectors put up with water, since both methanol and nitro
> are sometimes mixed with up to 5% water in order to keep things nice and
> cool.

in solution it should be fine, pure water may not be too great for injectors
but you have the fuel as a lubricant anyways

> And, since this motor will be used in a 4wd pickup (please don't tell me
> I'm crazy, I already know that), will individual injectors give a big
> boost in low (sub 1000) RPM torque, or will TBI be good enough.

indivudual injectors are better across the entire range, and give better
fuel control, distribution and tunability

> And last, are there any computer systems out there that can control
> boost pressure much like timing, to compensate for the knock sensitivity
> of different fuels?

Turbo and High Tech performance magazine lists a number of these

> Thanks for answers to any of these.

Clive