simple analog fuel injection comments from CSH, HQ

Sanity Challenged expert_not at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 23 18:24:56 GMT 1998

>From: "Bruce Plecan" <nacelp at bright.net>
>To: <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
>Subject: Re: simple analog fuel injection comments from CSH, HQ
>Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 12:11:49 -0400

Deleted Stuff

>Not to whine, but I wish someone would start a thread on what the
>hell to do with a PIC.  Everything I pick up says how easy they are >to
use.

Just to get into the spirit of this list lately - which has radically
changed to the dark side in the last year - why don't you just look it
up??????

Not to be a smart ass, but thats what the collective wisdom of this
group of dweebshit told me when I asked about a rumored knock detector
signal processor.  And heaven help you if you haven't kept up with every
post from the lord and master concerning the mythical ION and EGOR, you
are told to blow it out your arse if you would like info - or even just
a guide on where to get the info.

Don't you know there are literally hundreds of sites dealing with PICs
and it's cousin STAMPs.  the PIC producer Microchip will actually send
you a foot high stack of those obsolete and antiquated things called
books that detail everything you ever wanted to know and more.  Got full
drawings, tech specs, thousands of lines of existing code to do much
stuff, and even a CD-rom with more stuff - all for the astronomical
price of ----- tadaaaa  ------  FREE !!!!

And by following the links you can find anything you want - including
wireless radio transmitters and receivors should you chose to telemeter
your data off-board, clocks, electric motor controllers etc.

Try www.microchip.com or www.parallaxinc.com (makers of Stamps).  From
there follow links.  Parallax has mailing lists and FUNCTIONAL archives
(subtle hint with a sledge hammer) that deal with these devices.  MIT
has a mailing list that deals with them.  Anyone who cares can run down
in a matter of minutes more data, applications and help than they can
use in a lifetime.  A heck of a lot of it deals with automotive
applications.

The programming language is simplified to bare essentials.  The chips
integrate counters, processors, pulse width modulators and even A/D's
but don't worry - nobody on this list will even consider making their
private domain pet project compatible with PICs.  And since the chips
communicate not by wire trace bus's - but a simple serial logic - you
don't need to be a PCB layout genius to use them.

And why PICs when people start thinking simple.  Part of simple is the
availablity of non-dweebshit or self-appointed guru data and parts. PICs
and stamps meet this nicely.

There is a lurker (or was quite recently) who has actually built for the
SAE competition a complete fly by wire engine management system included
fuel, spark and throttle that resides on a USB controller chip - with
the help of a couple of custom reprogramable custom asics.  But he did
it SIMPLE because he understood what he needed to do.  Note that this
was a controller - not a "micro processor" - not a power pc chip running
Linux - but a simple ass controller - and it is working tonight, not
still in the sixth month of labor after several years.

Most of the EFI projects are way over-engineered. KISS will keep
recurring.  Non Dweebshit rules - Whatever WORKS is BEST - no exception.
Simple is better.  Simple does not mean Trivial.

Several months ago, some of us had a splinter discussion concerning
using a PIC or a STAMP and a USB controller as the basis of an engine
management system.  Then we would use a PC or a laptop to do high order
stuff like optimization algoriths.  It never went public on this list
because not everybody choses to follow the orthdoxoly of complicating
shitting detroit style and we really didn't care to hear all the
screaming flamers who didn't like our ideas.

Now back to our regularly scheduled disection of GM and mythical
projects that only a selected few will ever be privileged to view the
results of.

I now resume the position between to pnuematic side hammers to pound new
ideas into the ears.

Habeneros - not just for breakfast anymore!!