Flexible Fuels

Jake Lindeke jlindeke at bsfh.org
Wed Jun 24 01:11:55 GMT 1998

> Hi everyone, I am the proud owner of a Ford 429 that is going to get
> some serious power added by means of a turbocharger.  I was wondering
> about an EFI system that takes the octane adjustment feature of an ECU to
> its next logical step, differing fuels.  I don't know if it would be
> asking too much of current technology to have the computer be able to
> adapt on its own to different kinds of fuels.  For example, straight
> methanol would require at least twice the injector duration as gasoline,
> and to burn it would probably require one of those fancy linear oxygen
> sensors since alcohol likes to be run a bit on the rich side to keep
> chamber temperatures down since although it is less suceptible to
> detonation due to compression, it is more suceptible to pre-ignition.

> And last, are there any computer systems out there that can control
> boost pressure much like timing, to compensate for the knock sensitivity
> of different fuels?
>
> Thanks for answers to any of these.
>
> Birken

I am also an owner of a ford V8 (289 in my case) in my 66 mustang. i am
planning on twin turbocharging it as well, there are quite a few turbo related
computers that are designed for this kind of applacation, some of them piggy
back into a certin cars computer so are not usefull for turbocharging a ford V8
but there are others that connect there own way and work independly of the
rest of the car. as for boost control there are quite a few companys that make
these computers (boost controllers, Additional injector controllers and turbo
timers. to name a few there is Greddy, HKS, Blitz, Fet, Ultra, Pivot, Field,
A'Pexi, M's, and Battle Club. boost controlers can regulate your boost level at
the turn of a knob or digitally with a high and low boost setting programd in by
you. AIC's will controol additional injectores usually 6 new injectors. this is
used fore really high boost situations. and the turbo timer is a device that
keeps your car running for a set amout of time after you turn it off so that the oil
in hte turbo baring does not boil and cake to to the baring. this is very important
to keep the car running relyably.

--Jake Lindeke
--SOGI South-East Chapter Coordinator
--http://sesogi.bsfh.org