Northstar, 4L60 combo

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Wed Jun 24 15:39:35 GMT 1998

JE Messler wrote:

> I've noticed there are some transmission people in this group so here's
> a question for them.
> Does anyone have any Northstar experience?  I have access to a Motor.  I
> would like to turn it sideways and put a 700R4 behind it for a rear
> wheel drive street rod project.
> Is the bell housing the same on block and tranny or would an adapter be
> required?
> How about the flex plate?
> Any info would be appreciated,
> Jim Messler

I'm no transmission guy, but i think I can answer this one!  The 2.8L GM
motor has the GM FWD bolt pattern on the bellhousing, even in the few
applications where it was used as a RWD motor (S-10 up to '88, Camaros
from the same period).  So, a 700R4 from a V6 S-10 or Camaro should bolt
right up.  Flex plate may be a problem if the Northstar crank pattern is
different from the 2.8 pattern.  Motor mounts may also be an issue.
I've been curious about this combo myself, let us know if you work it
out.

Oh yeah, the 2.8 was also used in some Cherokees.  So you could probably
use a Chrysler transmission also if you wanted :-O

--
Steve Ravet
International Meta Systems
steve at imes.com