My project

Rene_Correa at amat.com Rene_Correa at amat.com
Thu Jun 25 01:08:50 GMT 1998

I am a newbie I have just found this site two days ago. I am really amazed
to find a so many other people interested in efi.  I have a project that I
have being planning of doing for some time.  It consist of fuel injecting a
235in.  1954  chevy in-line six motor for my 1950 chevy pickjup. It has
about 90hp stock.  I have seen these old motors hopped-up before running
Hilborn mechanical fuel injection and that is what I initially wanted to do
because I thought that building a efi system would be beyond my
capabilities.  I have also thought about trying to modify a efi system from
an existing car to adapt to my motor.  My motor has only three intake ports
that it shares between the six cylinders.  I am not sure if this is going
to be a problem. They used to make a 12 port head to these motors but they
are rare.  What I am thinking is building three individual throttles bodies
for each port and designing them to be able to use either Hilborn injectors
or electronic injectors.  If I cannot get the efi to work I want to be able
to try the hilborn injectors.  The big draw back to a mechanical injection
system is the big expense.  As far as ignition is concerned I am trying to
locate a Magneto but if not Mallory makes a dual point and electronic
distributor for this motor.
My biggest problem is where, and how do I start.  In college I was a member
of SAE and work on a mini formula car that we fuel injected, supercharged,
and ran methanol. We ran a extra fifth injector for boost conditions that
was controlled by alittle  "black box".   The box  was designed by someone
in our group.  I never did find out how the box was designed and now I
could kick myself for not learning more about the entire fuel system. I
have a Mechanical Engineering degree and at work I sometime pick the EE
brains on how to build a simple circuit to get a injector to open and
close.  The problem is that most of the people I spoke with know nothing
about cars and are always to vague on their answers and unfortunately I am
not a electronics wizard.    Like I mentioned earlier, I have only been
listening for two days and have been really inspired to continue my
project.  The entire purpose of my project is just to do it , to have a
stock looking fuel injected truck that I could drive everyday. At this
point I cannot really contribute to the list and will have more questions
than answers.  I would welcome any help or suggestions from the group on
how to get started and how I could use the exiting information the group
has provided.  I am in the Santa Clara, CA. area and would be interested
hearing about anyone elses projects or suggestions. Thanks again.

Rene