question about ceramic coatings

Chris Conlon synchris at ricochet.net
Thu Jun 25 05:19:48 GMT 1998

Hi all,

I tried to send this reply to Larry <lkurek at smtpgate.anl.gov>, but the
address doesn't seem to be good anymore. (Yeah, ok, I'm about a month
behind on some things.) If Larry or anyone else has an answer, it'd be
really appreciated.

------ begin forwarded message

Hi Larry,

[CBC and/or other ceramic coatings]

> If they are applied too thick, then yes...they run a good chance of
> cracking and subsequently coming off. If the surface isn't properly
> prepared (sandblast finish) and completely free of grease/wax/oil,
> they coating WILL flake off. However, with all of the parts I have
> coated...they seem to last pretty well if applied correctly.
>
> You don't want to dip the parts, even if you thin the coating...it
> would still be WAY too thick. What I have found that works best is an
> airbrush to apply the coating to a preheated part (150-175 degrees).

Would you have any suggestions about how to coat the *inside* of
something like an exhaust manifold or pipes? Or would you suggest I
not even try, & just coat the outside? I'd really like to DIY these
coatings on a bunch of exhaust parts, but I haven't used this stuff
before, just read about it.

   TIA,
   Chris C.