EFI system design

David Chambers dchamber at pronet.net.au
Fri Jun 26 13:05:59 GMT 1998

I am designing an efi system and also an ign timing system for myself
initially but with a view to market these eventually. I am hoping for a
little bit of market research from the people on this list. So if i
describe the way i plan to implement this can people comment on how easy
they think it sounds to tune and also if it sounds "smart" enough for
their usage.
My background is in electronics engineering and i have also build
several efi systems for friends race cars over the last few years. This
system is designed for track cars and import type engines retrofitted to
old cars that do not need to meet emissions specs.
The aim of this system is for it to be easy for the average mechanic or
car enthusiast to set up and get going but still have enough features so
that when it is taken to a dyno for fine tuning the person doing the
tuning has enough control to get it right.

The plan :-
Small alloy box approx 6" x 2" x 2"

Plug in connector with screw terminals for the wires. No fancy crimps or
soldering required.
Pickup for engine speed and position fromn either coil -ve , reluctor,
hall or opto sensor probably in dist but maybe crank pickup if needed.
Drives all injectors in batch mode once per revolution.
Sensor inputs from water temperature, air temperature, Manifold
pressure, and throttle position.
Auxiliiary outputs for fuel pump, idle speed valve, and valve timing
solenoid.
The box would have 7 trim pots adjustable via a screwdriver to adjust
the following parameters.

Idle fuel
cruise fuel
Cruise fuel position. Ie what load is cruise load.
full load fuel
cold start
accelerator pump
boost enrichment

By pluging a PC in you will be able to edit RPM compensation for each of
the fuel knobs, number of cylinders, and switch on points for each of
the auxilliary outputs.

Anyway this is the basic spec of the efi system I have half designed and
built. Ie PCB layout done and software half written.
If people are interested in more details i can share some more hints in
the right direction and also the ign system if people are interested.

What do you think?
David