700R4 bptest

JE Messler messler at streetrodframes.com
Sun Jun 28 03:08:13 GMT 1998

Bruce,
If your using the stock 700R4 out of the Astro Van you have 3 possible problems.

First the 3, 4 clutch would have fewer friction's and steels than the bigger
motor would
like to have.  They move the circlip farther down in the clutch drum on the
smaller motors to allow a smaller clutch
pack, (fewer friction's and steels).  Try to locate a clutch drum out of a
Corvette, Z28, or big block truck.  These have the circlip moved farther up in
the drum to allow for more friction's and steels in the pack.  With this drum
you can also install a 9 friction after market clutch pack, ( Alto), and forget
about the 3,4 clutch
Second I bet you are running a 322 boost valve in the pump.   This will keep the
line pressure down from what your bigger motor would like to have.  Low line
pressure will translate into less apply pressure on the clutch packs and the 2,4
band.  If the car is below 350 HP and driven on the street for primarily
transportation I would recommend a 472 boost valve.
Third, you probably have a small piston in the servo that applies the 2,4 band.
Get a Corvette piston, it has more surface area and with the same line pressure
it will apply and squeeze the 2,4 band harder than the smaller piston can.
For an application like yours, I've had real good luck with TransGo's SK kit for
the valve body, I think it would also help.
One more thing, if your motor will pull good up to 5500 rpm get a Corvette
governor, it will stop the trans from short shifting just when it starts going
good.
Good luck!
Jim Messler
http://www.streetrodframes.com