Northstar

Pete Datcuk pdatcuk at snip.net
Sun Jun 28 19:39:55 GMT 1998

  I checked the bolt patterns of a FWD tranny and the Northstar pattern, and
they may bolt to one another.  The fwd pattern has 6 bolts, starting from
the crank centerline on up.  The Northstar has only four, two at the crank
centerline, and two at the top of the bellhousing.  After eyeballing it, the
bolts look like they are about the same spacing.  The catch is that the
Northstar also has a couple of bolts at the bottom of the tranny and oilpan.
The oilpan is a stressed member in the Northstar, so I don't know what
effect if any there would be on the engine casting if you don't use these
bottom bolts.

Pete Datcuk
Mechanical Engineer
Sewell, NJ
'87 Fiero, some day to be Northstar'ed :-)
'67 Jeep Commando, to be risen from the dead ;-)